Pages

J'Ai Ete au Bal (I Went to the Dance)

J'Ai Ete au Bal (I Went to the Dance)

J'Ai Ete au Bal (I Went to the Dance) Fans of Les Blank need only know that this is up to his usual standards. For those not yet acquainted with his work, this can be a good introduction, especially if they like zydeco and Cajun music. It provides a thoughtful historical perspective on these musical traditions, on their development within Cajun and Creole communities, and on their interactions with other kinds of music. And you get to see and hear lots of great music being made. It's a DVD worth repeated viewings., I first saw this documentary in the 80's on VHS; we are so lucky it's on DVD with additional footage. I have Louisiana French in my background, many of who didn't speak English. This is a great explanation for outsiders of the music and culture of South Louisiana. It truly can be like another country; I remember in college many years ago the French exchange students used to love to drive to Louisiana to he...

0 comments:

Post a Comment